Titanic's Cargo Holds were used to storage baggage of passengers. There were six cargo holds, 3 forward & 3 aft. Each hold was loaded through a hatch.
- No. 1 Hatch was on the Forecastle Deck.
- Nos. 2 & 3 Hatches were on the Forward Well Deck.
- See 2.
- No. 4 was loaded by 2 hatches on aft B Deck
- Nos. 5 & 6 Hatches were on the Aft Well Deck.
- See 5.
Some of the cargo was quite unusual. These are some items found on the manifest:
- The Renault of William Carter
- A copy of the Rubaiyat, encrusted with jewels
- Shelled walnuts (300 cases) for the first national bank of Chicago
Cargo Manifest Contents (some examples) Edit
- Main article: Contents of Titanic's Cargo Manifest
- Main article: Provisions for the Maiden Voyage
- 4 cases of printers blankets,
- 34 cases of golf clubs,
- 5 cases of drug related sundries,
- 8 cases of orchids,
- 4 cases of pens,
- 7 cases of cotton,
- 12 cases of cotton laces,
- 4 bales of straw.
- 4 cases of tulle,
- 29 cases of cotton,
- 8 cases of bulbs,
- 28 bags of sticks,
- 10 boxes of melons,
- 61 cases of tulle,
The cargo holds in the stern were torn apart by the violent implosions. The cargo holds in the bow seem to be relatively intact.